In order to sing freely and to find the resonance you are looking for, your body has to be relaxed. This does not mean that you have to be slumping, it’s more about finding the balance in your muscles, that allows your sound to travel throughout all your body.
A tense body blocks the sound you are producing. Try tensing all your muscles as if you were really angry and try to make a sound. Notice how difficult it is to make a sound while your body is so tense!
Most of the time we don’t even notice how tense we are. It is important in order to build a rich and dynamic sound with your voice, that you start developing your awareness and sensitivity in relation to your own body. This way you will notice when you are more tense than you should be and it will be much easier to fix it.
There are some things you can do right now to start improving your tone simply by making certain adjustments to your body and the positioning of your muscles in order to better facilitate your sound:
- Find a posture that allows you to be relaxed. Check how you sit, stand and walk and see if it is currently helping you. Remember that your posture can influence your emotions and your emotions can influence your posture too! Play around it and listen carefully, your body will tell you what you need.
- Try balancing your weight until is centered, then align your hips with your shoulders and ears and let your jaw drop relaxed.
- Be mindful of your emotions. Emotions are expressed in the body with different breathing patterns and postures. Also, repressed emotions get trapped into the muscles as small tensions. This is a whole topic itself!
- Play around a bit moving all the joints in your body: fingers, arms, jaw, vertebras, hips, knees, ankles… giving the joints space and movement helps a lot to keep your body relaxed and free.
- Move! If you don’t do any regular exercise, start walking, dancing or at least stretching from time to time. If you are super motivated and want to really get into it, there are lots of amazing techniques for body awareness such as Feldenkrais and Eutony.
- Get a massage! It also helps amazingly!
Have fun in the process of finding your unique voice and really making the most of it!
Image by Andrea Passoni